Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chewsday


Habari!
This Sunday, the group realized that we will be going to church in Kibera only four more times. The reality that this summer is half way over is starting to settle in.
Here are a few facts about Kenya:
They were a British colony, so a lot of British influences are still in the culture. They drive on the left side of the road. This actually seems very natural to me now. I will have to adjust once I return home. I naturally get in the van on the left side and the driver’s seat looks normal on the right side of the vehicle. Kenyans also have several tea times throughout the day. They call it chai and make it by boiling milk and steeping Kenyan tea bags. It is very good. Starbucks has nothing on Kenyan and Ethiopian coffee. I usually start my mornings with one or two cups.
The Kenyans are divided into 43 tribes. Each tribe is usual found in a specific geographical area; also each tribe has a distinct language, traditions, and meals. Each Kenyan learns their tribal language first, then they learn Swahili and English as a 2nd and 3rd language. In the past, the different tribes have caused political conflict, but they are starting to marry into different tribes to try to create unity throughout all of the tribes.
When most people think of Kenyan tribes they think of people dressed in colorful clothing, facial piercing, and spears. This is the traditional Kenyan culture and there is still one tribe that follows these traditions. The Masai are the traditional Kenyan tribe. They are seen herding cattle, wearing traditional Kenyan clothing, and sporting the traditional Kenyan ear piercings. Lucky for us, we are staying in a rural area in the middle of the Masai land. Everyday, we get to see them herd their cattle in the traditional Kenyan garments.
Yesterday we went to the local market in Kisarian. We definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. The majority of the people there are Masai, so everywhere we went we heard the word “mzungu” (which means foreigner). We got a good dose of the local culture. The girls did the grocery shopping and the guys walked around getting a feel for all the local stores.
The VBS went great. It was very tiring, but it was great seeing so many kids show up to learn about God on a Saturday. I helped out with the “games” which turned into putting the kids into a circle and throwing a soccer ball into the middle… they took care of the rest.
The guys on the trip have started developing strong relationships with the Kenyan men we are working with on the construction site. The men are starting to open up more and more as they get used to us.
The team is starting to get tired, but we have worked so well with each other so far. I am amazed at how well everyone works with each other. It is evident that God put together this team.
One of Mumford and Sons most popular songs is “Awake My Soul.” One of the lyrics of that song is “Where you invest your love, you invest your life.” This summer I have invested my love to the kids of Kibera and in doing so I have invested a piece of my life. God is quickly developing a heart for Kenya within me.
This Friday we are planning on hiking a mountain close to our compound. We have grown tired of spending our off days doing nothing but getting internet in a coffee shop.
Today, instead of teaching, I did home visits with pastor Wycliffe. I had the opportunity to meet one of my student's mothers. Victor is his name. He is very smart and the head boy of the school. His father and brother both have TB. One of the ladies we met today came to know Christ as her savior. Praise the Lord! It was a very eye opening experience to see the homes of the kids I am visiting.
Continue to pray for the team, pastor Inbumi, the children of Kibera, and the workers we are working with on the construction site.
I will be giving a sermon to the church using a Swahili translator within the next few weeks. I think I’m going to preach on 2 Corinthians 3:18.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment