Friday, July 1, 2011

July???


Because we did not have internet last week, I posted a blog from last week and this week.
This week, the director of MTW was in Kenya, so pastor Inbumi was not able to pick us up like he does most days. Pastor Wycliffe got a cab to pick us up to take us to our different destinations throughout the week.
We worked on the construction site on Monday. The building is almost at the roofing stage. It is hard to believe that the building was nothing but a hole in the ground when we arrived. I cannot wait to return to see this empty piece of property finished and being used to house girls and boys who are rescued from terrible situations. The master plan of this property will include housing for 200+ children, a school, church, staff housing, and a vocational school.
Tuesday and Wednesday were normal. I spent them teaching in Kibera. Tuesday I taught a class 4 English lesson and on Wednesday I taught a class 5 social studies lesson. These kids continually steal my heart. My least favorite part of the day is leaving Kibera and these children.
We had a scary encounter last week in Kibera. On Wednesday one of the teachers came into the meeting we were in and told us that one of the kids had fainted. His name is Bryan and he is in the class 4 (or 4th grade) that I teach. I’ve seen people faint before and it usually doesn’t take them too long to recover. Bryan was unconscious for about 30 minutes+. Pastor Inbumi called his mother and she came into the school crying. She ran into the room and started praying, within minutes he was awake and conscious. He went to the doctor, but they could not figure out what was wrong with him. Bryan is one of the students I have gotten closest to. He sat next to me at church on Sunday.
Yesterday (Thursday) was the most beautiful day we’ve experienced here in Kenya. It started at 6:30 with one of the most stunningly gorgeous sunrises I have ever seen. It was followed by a clear, sunny day planting trees on the property. It felt like summer time in America (it is winter here in Kenya). As the sun was setting, I walked through the field behind the compound. It isn’t everyday that you get to walk through the African wilderness surrounded by acacia trees at sunset. We also had my favorite meal for dinner, chapatti.
It has been a great week here in Kenya. It is hard to believe that it is already July.
The team will be doing an American Independence Day party for the girls at the girls home tomorrow. The menue: hotdogs, chili, and coke floats. We will replace the usually display of fireworks with coke lite (diet coke) and mentos.
One night this week, the girls on the team found a field mouse outside their room. I took care of the situation with a cinderblock.
He must increase, i must decrease,
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment